- I like to take notes from anyplace, anywhere and anytime.
- I like to keep my notes organized in a structured way.
- I like to find what I need when I need it.
- I don’t like to spend time on maintenance ie. upgrade/patching.
- I don’t like to spend money.
- I don’t like to be locked on a vendor.
How It All Works
- Jekyll as static website generator.
- Basically Basic as a forked Jekyll theme.
- GitHub Flavored Markdown.
- GitHub Pages as website hosting provider.
- Github as VCS.
- GoDaddy as DNS registrar and DNSSEC.
- Cloudflare as DNS, CDN, WAF and TLS.
- Algolia as cloud search engine.
- Travis CI as CI.
- Pingdom as external monitoring.
- Slack as a push notification client.
- Requires no on-going maintenance.
- Quick start with Jekyll themes. May be up in minutes.
- No vendor lock-in. Standard Git Markdown.
- Jekyll sites can be hosted on GitHub Pages free of charge.
- Changes can be made quickly from any device.
- Raw text formatted and indexed automatically.
- Fast and reliable full text search engine using Algolia.
- Allows contribution by multiple ways such as pull requests, issues and branches.
- Rich version history, permissioning, traceability and merge strategies.
- Custom domain, security, encryption and optimization handled free of charge by Cloudflare.
- Crontab Guru - Font and colour scheme.
- Devhints - Built via Jekyll. Cheatsheets in grid format.
- Jekyllrb - Built via Jekyll. Responsive design. Shadows in rounded ‘pre’ code blocks.